A Christmas tree is the perfect playground for curious cats, the flashing lights, tinsel wrapped around branches, dangling decorations and well… the tree itself!
Here’s how to cat-proof your tree for felines in the curious Christmas spirit:
- Try to put the Christmas tree in a room your cat doesn’t usually spend a lot of time in
- Avoid putting decorations on lower branches as this will invite them to play
- Cats love tinsel! Be selective where you hang it as they may pull down more than they bargained for!
- Cats tend to think decorations are fun toys! Try to keep delicate/special decorations well hidden from feisty felines
- Keep your Christmas tree away from shelves, ledges, chairs and tables as they can use them to climb onto higher branches to play
- Hoover any pine needles as they may hurt pets paws… meow!
- A heavy tree stand may protect the tree from toppling over if a feisty feline gets its paws on it
- You could decorate your tree with dried oranges & orange rinds as cats hate citrus smells! This tip also looks & smells super festive for us pet parents.